Monday, December 17, 2007

Who Needs Needs?

Herschel Gordon Lewis is a legendary copywriter and direct marketer. Every month, he publishes an editorial in Direct Magazine. Recently, he addressed one of the most ridiculous, but ubiquitous phrases in marketing copy: "...for all your [insert word] needs."

I love his title: "Who Needs Needs?" It's a fun read. Check it out.

This phrase has rubbed me the wrong way for years. I hate it!

Honestly, why do people feel this phrase is necessary? Let's take an example. Let's say you own a printing business and you're tempted to use "For all your printing needs!" on all your literature.

Is that really true? Do you sell printers, too? Do you offer screen printing? What about imprinting? Do you stock every kind of paper known to man so I can print it myself? What about replacement cartridges for my printer? Do you print photos? Do you really handle every kind of printing need known to mankind?

I'm guessing not. And even if you did, wouldn't that be an awful unique selling proposition? How do you convince someone to do business with you if you "specialize" in everything?

My advice: nix the "needs." People have specific needs, not general "needs." (See Lewis's article.)

No comments: